Wednesday, November 3, 2010

All Souls Day....a celebration of lives!

This past week was crazy fun! We had missionaries from all over the South Region come and join us, from Florida Gulf Coast to Belmont Abbey, from University of Florida, to Auburn University! It was wonderful! On Friday morning, we began with a holy hour and some talks, and then went into the chapel for Rosary and the Mass. As we prayed the rosary, an elderly gentleman by the name of Henry Lota (although we knew him as Mr. Henry) lead the rosary. I couldn't help but think of how inaudible he was while we were praying, and just how sweet he was in his thick Polish accent. I knew most of the missionaries couldn't hear him, and was still just in huge appreciation for his devotion to the Holy Rosary, and to daily Mass. Of course, after that was finished, I had several things on my agenda that needed to be attended to, but it was a moment.
The next day, while we were having a campfire with the missionaries, after a day of kayaking and an enjoyable women's night, a teammate approached me and told me that Mr. Henry had died in his sleep that morning. I was in shock. Mr. Henry!? But he had just said the rosary for us the day before! I shared this bit of news with the other missionaries, and they were in the same stupor- one even said, "I haven't ever had anyone I know die [during the age at which I could remember]." It was a happy and sad moment. The next day, when I shared that news and asked for prayers from my mom, she said, "You do know that was also the day that Grandpa Z died?" My mom's dad died twenty years ago on that exact date! But what was even cooler (if you can call it cool), was the fact that that Mr. Henry's funeral was on All Souls Day- an appropriate day to remember his life with joy- a 91 year old man who attended daily mass since I came to Statesboro, and was a member of the Polish army years ago in WW2. He chose a life of love, and chose also not to become embittered by the war and its effects on his life. He was a gentle old man, and reminded me of what my grandpa would have been like at his age (Grandpa Z would be 94, had he still been alive). Praise God for the body of Christ- I felt so free to celebrate the life of Mr. Henry, and to rejoice, and also pray for my own grandparents who have passed away. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

2 comments:

  1. You need to tell me more stories, more often! I love your posts Miss B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking up Mr. Henry Lota because I showed what I consider my finest game of chess against a higher rated player in a tournament to my two sons.

    I was saddened to hear of his passing.

    I knew Mr. Lota from seeing him at numerous chess tournaments in the mid-1990s held in Savannah.

    He was a very kind and wonderful man; I always enjoyed spending time with him at these tournaments.

    The game in question saw me sacrifice a knight for active play against Mr. Lota's King which resulted in his offer of a draw...which I immediately took! To this day I am proud to have split the point with him.

    And when the time comes that I, too, meet my Heavenly Father, I hope to be able to also again challenge Mr. Lota to a friendly game of chess; a game that he clearly enjoyed so much.

    -d

    ReplyDelete